Skip to content


Many parish and town councillors have adopted provisions as part of their Codes of Conduct that allow Members with disclosable pecuniary interests to make representations relating to that interest. However they are not entitled to vote and have to leave the room.

On occasions there would be so many members leaving the room, sometimes in relation to the same interest, the meeting is no longer quorate and the matter cannot be discussed. To prevent this from happening, a dispensation may be granted.

The Regulations specify that dispensations may only be granted if:

Each Member must send in a written application that explains why they want a dispensation. Only the Member can do this - they can't ask someone else to do it on their behalf. For example, it is not for the parish clerk to do on behalf of a Member or group of Members.

The Monitoring Officer will consider the applications and decide whether a dispensation should be granted. If the Monitoring Officer is not able to decide whether an application should be granted, the review board will be asked to consider the application and decide whether it should be granted.

When an application is considered, the following criteria will be taken into account:

Until a dispensation is granted a Parish or Town Councillor may not take part in the consideration of the matter before the Parish or Town Council (or any Committee or Sub-Committee).

Any dispensation that is granted will state how long it is in force for.

Related documents

Size Name
[128kb] Application for Dispensation Application form for a Councillor to apply for dispensation.

The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.