Skip to content

What we will do about your complaint of Anti-Social Behaviour

Once we have received your complaint you can be assured of our best attention.

We will treat your complaint in confidence.

Each case will be dealt with on its own merit. The response we give you, the Victim, and your case will depend on a range of factors. The focus of that response is based around you, and your needs, and what the impact of the anti social behaviour is having on you. Victims are risk assessed so they can be supported better where they are found to be more vulnerable.

We will need to build a profile of the incidents taking place. In order to do this we need you to give us as much description as possible, such as where it is happening, who is involved, times, dates, and you can also include your own photographic evidence to support your case.

We will take witness statements, which can be used in court. You may be given an anti social behaviour diary to log all the incidents that you are experiencing and again, this can be used in court.

We may send Unacceptable Warning Letter out, and we will often visit the perpetrators of anti social behaviour and their family. Often when a young person is involved in anti social behaviour for the first time an early intervention from us stops the behaviour straight away. We may use an Acceptable Behaviour Contract with a person to let them understand what they are doing and how that affects people. By signing the contract they are entering into an agreement with us, not to do the things that cause anti social behaviour.

We will liaise closely with other council services and outside agencies to ensure continuity of attention

We also recognise the need to engage with parents of young people within the anti social behaviour process.

We will use the full range of tools, legislation and powers available to us to bring a resolution to your problems.

Please note that we cannot take action on the following issues.

Parking and driveways

Boundary disputes

Hedges and conifers

Civil disputes between neighbours

Claims for damages to person/property

CCTV on private premises

These are civil matters that should be dealt with by your solicitor. Alternatively you could approach the Citizens Advice Bureau for help with your query. If you are unsure please contact us.

What you can do

If you are experiencing problems with anti-social behaviour or have any concerns about it or other community safety issues, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Feel free to use the diary sheet below to record your incident and then, please contact us. You may find the guidance leaflet useful or you could visit the Incident Diary page for more information.

Related documents

Size Name
[154kb] Anti-social incident diary Anti-social incident diary
[1018kb] Incident Diary Booklet Guidance Incident Diary Booklet Guidance

The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.