Skip to content

Adaptations to your home

The council has a commitment to helping its elderly and disabled tenants enjoy as independent lifestyle as possible.

How we can help you?

We can offer you a range of adaptations including:

How to apply for an adaptation

You should call Lincolnshire County Council's Social Services on:

01522 78 21 55 (for adults with a disability) or
01522 78 21 11 (for people under 18 with a disability)

Please ask for the customer service unit and tell them you would like an assessment for adaptations to your home. The customer service unit will ask you for some details (for example, your name and address and what type of disability you or any members of your household have). They will arrange for an occupational therapist to visit you at home.

The occupational therapist may be able to help you with minor aids or equipment that won't cost you anything. If you need more complicated adaptations the occupational therapist will send us a referral form. We will then write to you to tell you what will happen next.

If you need very minor adaptations, such as grab rails, lever taps (taps you can move easily by pushing against them rather than having to turn them) or hand rails you can call us on 01476 40 60 80 and speak to a member of the Improvements team.

If Lincolnshire County Council's Social Services does not agree to your request for more complicated adaptations for medical or practical reasons, we won't be able to do the work. If your property is of a design or type that makes it difficult to adapt, we may discuss alternatives with you such as moving to a more suitable property (for example, a bungalow).

Frequently asked questions

Am I eligible for adaptations to my property?

You can apply if you or a member of your household has a disability or if you or they are frail or elderly.

What is a 'Means' test?

If the work will cost more that £1,000, you may have to pay towards it. We will work out how much you would have to pay by taking into account your income and savings. This is known as a means test.

We will send you a means test form that you will need to fill in and return to us at the address shown above together with proof of your income and savings. We will let you know the result and ask you if you want us to go ahead with the work.

What happens next?

If your property needs only a small adaptation, we will arrange the work through our Works department. They will contact you direct to arrange a suitable date with you to do the work.

If the work is more extensive, we will carry out a survey first. We may need to draw plans, then apply for planning permission and meet building regulations. We will then get quotations from a number of approved contractors and choose one of them. They will arrange with you a convenient start date for the work.

Can I pay privately to have work done?

Yes, but you will need permission in writing from our repairs and improvements team before you start any work.