Skip to content

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Find out all you need to know about Houses in Multiple Occupation.

What is an House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)?

Under the Housing Act 2004, if a landlord lets a property which is one of the following types it is a House in Multiple Occupation:

in order to be an HMO the property must be used as the tenants' only or main residence. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.

Which HMO's need a licence?

Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) became mandatory in April 2006. This means that larger higher risk HMO's (exemptions apply for Registered Social landlords) will require a licence if they meet all of the following criteria;

What is a Licence?

A licence will specify the maximum number of people who may live in the HMO. It may also include conditions relating to:

A licence will usually last for a maximum of five years, although it can be for a shorter period.

Further information

If you require any further information regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation please contact Private Sector Housing. A public register of licensed HMO's can be viewed at Council Offices, St Peter's Hill, Grantham during normal working hours.

Related documents

Size Name
[48kb] SCHEDULE OF FEES - HMO Property Licensing 2015/16 SCHEDULE OF FEES - HMO Property Licensing 2015/16

The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.